Thursday 4 December 2008

A pile of pants

It's done.
The mantra has been met: Don't get it right, get it written.
The first draft of the pilot episode of my new TV drama series is in the bag.
And, according to all sources, it'll be a pile of pants. But it's my pile of pants and I can be proud of having written it, if not of it itself.
I used to think synchronicity was a word Sting had made up to make himself sound clever, but it actually has a real meaning. And it's odd that the completion of my first draft last night should coincide with a message from another scriptwriter pointing me in the direction of this fascinating BBC4 programme, in which TV writers are interviewed about... well, TV writing:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fvgj5/Charlie_Brookers_Screenwipe_Series_4_Episode_3/
There is so much for me to cling on to here, from the assurance that there will be many more drafts ahead to the near certainty that I will hate what I have written when I go back to it cold.
None of this matters. For now, I am basking in the simple but significant achievement of writing "FADE OUT" at the end of my episode.
Now the real work begins...

No comments: